February 06, 2014

moose love winter

Last week or so, I was beyond stoked to see my first street art in my own town.  I was heading to work, and caught a glimpse of it on my drive by.  There's a fork in the road, and in between the fork lies an itty bitty abandoned building.  I have no idea what it used to be; maybe a gas station, but that's just a stab in the dark.

Someone had painted a very detailed realistic looking moose, charging three little plump, blue, creepy bunny cartoonish characters.  They're hard to describe, but picture a skeleton in a bunny suit...with just the skeleton face showing, and the rest is a short and stout blue bunny body.

I've enjoyed driving by now every day looking at it, and kept telling Mike that I need to go photograph it before it's gone.  Well a few days after it arrived, two of the bunnies disappeared under some gray paint!  No!  I was bummed, for sure.  Not long after, the third disappeared as well.  The moose is still hanging on, though, for which I'm grateful.


Today I had to run an errand very close to the painting, so afterward I parked my car in a nearby lot, and walked over to snap a pic of the guy.  It turns out I don't even think it's painted on the building at all; it looks like paper that has been stuck on (you can sort of see the nose peeling off in the top photo).

I just had my phone with me, so they're not the greatest of photos, but I'm happy I got some pics before he's gone.


If you look closely at the photo below, there's a tiny drawing of one of the bunnies in his antlers!  That's about what the larger ones looked like.


When I got home, I grabbed me camera since I've been wanting to document how much snow we've gotten, but haven't wanted to actually go outside, haha.  I figured I was already cold and snowy from taking the other pics I might as well.  Plus it's a pretty calm and sunny-ish day, so yay for good lighting!

I poked my yard stick into the snow in a few different places, and this was the first; 19.5 inches!


deep snow prints...


It wasn't as deep by Mike's disc golf basket; about 15 inches.  I think the basket looks funny with the snow covering most of the pole, making the basket almost level with it. :)


One more check, and it's 20 inches.  It's hard to say for sure how much we've gotten, with all the drifting and stuff, but let's just say it's a lot.


Oh, hey!


And, one of our backyard.  I think I got some breath on the lens in this one...oops!


How's the weather where you are?

8 comments:

  1. I love that moose! Too bad the bunnies got painted over, I bet they were so cute! I love spontaneous art. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Random street art is my favorite - sometimes it just happens in the perfect moments and places to cheer you up and makes your day! It's so cute!
    That snow is insane! We are being total whiny babies because we just got the "2014 PDX Snowpocolpyse" which pretty much shut down the city and made the hubby's commute today go from 30 minutes to 4+ hours today! It was like 3-4 inches...we are whimps. I sort of love it though, I missed the snow from the east coast! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moose is so cool! Thanks for sharing that! Wow. Your snow blows mine out of the water ;) How ready are you for spring?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw Mr. Moose today when we were out running errands...I thought I recognized the former gas station! It's across the street from where I attended Junior High! Thanks for sharing...most people probably drive right by and don't notice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yay! I'm glad you knew what it used to be! So it was a gas station! :) hmmm, is the school still there? trying to think of where one is...oh wait... where all those kids go sledding?

      Delete
  5. Love the moose. :) Such a shame of the bunnies disappearing though! Here it's still not snowing, which is really weird (usually we certainly see snow in December already). Everybody kind of has a 'Spring is coming!' feeling here haha. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some seriously cool street art. Too bad they erased the bunnies...
    It looks like a winter wonderland where you live, here in socal it's already summer!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!