December 05, 2013

ugly sweater run

This past Sunday, Mike and I participated in an ugly sweater 5K run.  I found out about the run while checking my email on break at work one day, through a Living Social deal.  After reading about the run, I knew it was something I wanted to do; it sounded so fun!  Included in the cost to run were some pretty wicked stocking hats, ugly sweater mustache tattoos, hot cocoa aid stations (ha!), and two beers once you finish.  On top of all that, it was decorated in such a jolly fashion, with inflatable Christmas decor everywhere, a giant Hanukkah Menorah, and cute photo op props everywhere.  It was fun to see every one's ugly sweaters too!

Since we didn't go to packed pickup the day before, we arrived really early to ensure we had enough time to do so and not be stuck in a huge line and miss the start.  A bit too early, perhaps, but we had fun looking around, and keeping warm in a coffee shop close by.  I fueled up with a bagel and some water.


Checking out the finish line before things got busy.


Mike snapped a few photos while we were running.  This is a part where the course loops around and you see all the people that are following you, haha.

Silly photo!


Aaaaand, done!  Mike stayed with me the whole time even though he could have easily finished way before me, so that was fun to be able to chat and be together.  We didn't know until right before the race that it wasn't a timed event.  I was pretty bummed about that, since it's only my second race ever and I was looking forward to comparing my time from the first one.  After looking it up though, they say that I'm missing the point of the race if I think it's about time, haha.  It's just meant to have fun, be with people and chill, taking your time.  At the last minute, I decided I wanted to time us anyway using my phone, so we jogged back to the car to pick it up, but when we crossed the starting line and Mike hit "start" my phone was not having it.  It was definitely not meant to be timed, so it wasn't, haha.


Done running, now beer time!


nom, nom, nom. :)  Stretching and beer drinking.




All in all, it was a fun, fun time!  Have you participated in any runs lately, or do you have any coming up?  I'd love to hear about it!

p.s.~ anyone notice how I posted my cultivation Wednesday post on Tuesday?  Haha, oops, I'm definitely confused on my days this week...I think because I had Sunday off for this run...

9 comments:

  1. I've totally heard of these; your pictures are great! It sounds like it was super fun. But... ugly sweater tattoos? Temporary, hopefully? I guess for each their own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yes, temporary. guess I forgot to mention that part. :) thanks!

      Delete
  2. I saw the pictures on your instagram, it looks really fun! And that's actually an adorable hat you got haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a little instagram crazy for sure, haha! I like the hats too, thanks! Although they turned out to be kind of tight (or maybe my head is abnormally large...).

      Delete
  3. Um, so cute. Especially for an ugly sweater and AFTER a run! sheesh. ;) What a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO FUN! I love that it was a living social deal (all I find are stupid color runs on there) and you got all kinds of awesome stuff. Plus Mike did it with you...jealous! I can't get D to run for anything. What a fun time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! Ugly sweaters AND beer at the end? I can't imagine a better 5k! I wish they did that in Philly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! They actually did one in Philly on Dec. 7! http://theuglysweaterrun.com/locations/philadelphia-pennsylvania/#.UqiimdJDuSo
      next year?! :)

      Delete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!