December 13, 2013

mouse bed diy

I've had this project for a tiny mouse bed pinned on my "auntie sarah projects" board on Pinterest for quite some time.  Last month I was stoked to be able to meet my new niece, who was just adopted and lives far away, for the first time.  This was the perfect opportunity to get my crafty pants on!  Being that she's a shy little sweetie (can totally relate!), this made for a good ice breaker.  I think she had the most fun just opening and closing the little tin, all the while saying it as she did so; "open"..."close."  So cute!


The website that Pinterest links to doesn't have a step by step diy, just some super cute pictures of this project, so I just had to wing it and come up with something myself.  It definitely didn't come out as cute as their's, but I don't think it's too bad!

What you'll need:
  • scissors
  • felt (or some other material) for the body, ears, and blankets, and pillow
  • small tin such as Altoids, or in my case, a Jelly Belly tin
  • a combination of needle and thread, sewing machine, and hot glue gun (whichever you prefer)
  • yarn or ribbon for the tail
  • stuffing
  • marker for polka dots on blanket (optional)


I stared out making a blanket with some pink felt, cutting little notches on two edges for cuteness, and hot gluing it to the bottom of the tin.

Next, cut out all the body parts in pairs (there's no pattern for this, just eyeball it making sure it will fit in your tin once all the body parts are attached):
  • body
  • arms
  • legs
  • ears
Cut a piece of yarn or ribbon for the tail in desired length, and tie a knot on each end to keep it from unraveling.

Pinch together the ears like the photo below, and just sew a little stitch to keep it together at one end, making it look like a tiny ear.


Stitch a face on one of the body pieces, then prepare to assemble!  I used my sewing machine for part of it, but it was acting up quite badly, and I ended up using my hot glue gun to finish putting the arms, legs, and tail on.  The funky shapes for the arms and legs pictured below was intentional, as I folded them in half and glued to give a little more substance.  


Make a pillow, and a blanket to cover your little mousy, and you're all set!  Tiny parts for tiny people means supervision, so just make sure you keep an eye on your little bugger while in use!



I used some washi tape to personalize the cover of the tin with my nieces initial.


Hope you have a good weekend!

1 comment:

  1. SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!