August 19, 2013

let's eat~ sweet potato and rosemary pizza

 
Vegetarian Times has some of the tastiest meals within its pages.  Last week I made a pizza that was mentioned by someone in an interview; it wasn't a recipe per-say, but she briefly explained the simple details of what made up her favorite pairing of sweet potatoes and kalmata olives.  I took what she said and put it into practice to make this super simple, yet very flavorful pizza!
 
 
I'm sort of known for messing up recipes because I don't read the directions closely enough, or far enough ahead that I miss a step.  Well, that happened once again with this one, but it all worked out in the end.  The only thing I really "messed up" was that she used sweet potatoes that were either pre-baked or roasted, then peeled and sliced.  I just peeled, chopped, boiled and mashed mine.  Don't ask me why, haha.  I also added Parmesan cheese, when she didn't use any cheese.  Here's what I did:
 
pizza crust of your choosing (I made mine with this recipe)
1 sweet potato (peeled, boiled, and mashed or you can bake and slice it)
1 container of silken tofu
1 onion, chopped and caramelized in olive oil
kalmata olives, sliced in half
fresh or dried rosemary or thyme
 
Once I realized my mistake of mashing the potatoes, I just threw them into the food processor with the tofu which had to be pureed anyway.  It made for a nice "sauce" if you will.
 
Caramelized your onions, and spread them over the crust.  Top with your tofu/ sweet potato mixture.  Next scatter kalmata olives on to your liking, and dust with the herb of your choice.  I had some Parmesan cheese, and it made a wonderful addition to the toppings and flavor of the pizza.
 
Bake at 425 F for at least 10 min, or until the crust turns golden brown and the cheese is melted if using.
 

This was super tasty, and I kind of want it again, soon!  Hoping you all have a good start to your week!  I'm off to blast through some errands before zipping out the door to work.

4 comments:

  1. Need to try this! You're the one who got me started on adding flax seed to my pizza dough, and Feta cheese to pizza! Will give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. What size is the container of silken tofu?!! Twill be a first for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. um, you know I'm not sure. It's the only size they had at Meijer up in the produce department, so you'll probably find it easily. I did end up having too much sauce though, and threw out about 3 spoonfulls. I guess it depends on how sloppy you like it (or just get a smaller potato...).

      Delete
  3. That looks good! I haven't had a pizza for ages, I really need to do something about that. And there is a sweet potato in the cupboard, so I'm thinking I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!