July 15, 2013

let's eat~ hominy salad

 
This summer is turning out to be a pretty sticky one; the humidity is making me grouchy.  I definitely don't feel like turning the oven on, or even really eating hot things.  This salad is super delicious, and you eat it cold.  No oven required, although I did have to use the stove top to cook some lentils, but that can be avoided if you can find them in the frozen section.
 
Mike and I have made this recipe many many times, and it's one we just keep coming back to, it's that good.  I had some for dinner last night, and then got to bring leftovers in my lunchbox to work today!  It makes quite a big batch, so it's good for that.
 
 
recipe from Vegetarian Times
 
Hominy Salad with Basil-Shallot Vinaigrette
 
1 small shallot, minced (2 Tbs.)
2 Tbs. white wine or champagne vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
1 15-oz. can white hominy, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed (like I said, I can never find them frozen, so have to get fresh & then cook them; whatever you can find)
1 cup halved grape or teardrop tomatoes
1 small yellow bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
1/2 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese or shaved Asiago cheese (I use goat; mmm...sooo good!)
 
1.  Whisk together shallot and vinegar in small bow.  Whisk in oil until emulsified, then whisk in basil.  Add white pepper and salt, if desired.
 
2.  Toss together hominy, lima beans, tomatoes, and bell pepper in serving bowl.  Drizzle with dressing, and toss again to coat.  Sprinkle with cheese, and serve. 
 
*note-  I like to stir my salad up real well, which results in the goat cheese just sort of melting/spreading and coating everything really well instead of staying in a crumbled form.  I like it this way though!
 

Yum, yum, yum!  Is it hot where you are?  What have you been eating to beat the heat?

2 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I'm going to pin it to try later (although I still don't think I'm over my childhood aversion to lima beans...I'll have to pick a different bean!).

    I think you might have done one of these before, but I tagged you in a liebster post: http://abhayayoga.blogspot.com/2013/07/liebster-deja-vu.html Check it out if you'd like to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's funny; good thing beans are so versatile! :)

    Thanks for the nomination! I'll definitely take you up on this, even though I've done one (or 2?) before. I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!