July 02, 2013

let's eat~ fruity popcicles

 
 
With the 4th of July right around the corner, the heat we've been having, and summer's debut, I thought it fitting to make some popsicles!  I found this little popsicle mold at the thrift store last year, and have only used it once since having it.  Now that summer's here, I hope to put it to lots of use!
 
 
I wanted to have a sort of patriotic theme for these pops, and to keep them healthy.  My solution?  Watermelon, strawberries, and Greek yogurt.  I'm not really good at coming up with my own recipes, but thought I'd give it a shot; couldn't be too hard, right?!  I just threw everything in the food processor, divied it between the molds, and popped it into the freezer!  A did peek at some recipes online, and most of them suggested adding sugar to the mix.  Since I was going for healthy though, I left it as-is, thinking the fruit would be tasty enough on its own.
 
 
I was sort of wrong, hehe!  I mean, they're good...but a little on the hard side, and not too sweet.  I still like 'em though, but now I have room for experimenting, right?
 
 
Here's what went into my popsicles:
1/4 cut up watermelon (small round one, not too big)
1 whole pack of strawberries, hulled & halved
1 cup Greek yogurt (original/ unsweetened)
 
Toss all ingredients into a blender or food processor, put into molds & freeze!  You may have to run the mold under some warm water when it's time to eat the pops, in order for them to slide out easier and not yoink the stick out!
 
This made way more than needed for my little mold, but I covered the rest and stuck it into the fridge for more pops later.
 

Are you making any patriotic treats this week?  Do share! :)

1 comment:

  1. These look good! I've always liked my popcicles a wee bit on the tart side.
    I'm making strawberry/blueberry (if I can find blueberrys, they seem to be out everywhere) short cake for the 4th. It's sort of a tradition. =}

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!