June 15, 2013

let's eat~ carrot cake

 
I'm here to tempt you with more photos of mouth watering carrot cake again today.  As mentioned yesterday, I acquired an abundance of carrots over the past few weeks, thanks to my lack of memory and knowing that I already had some stowed away in the refrigerator.  So, knowing that I would likely not snack on that many carrots, I decided to make a carrot cake to use some of them up.  I mean, what else do you make with carrots, come on?  Wait, sshhh, don't think too hard about that, I really just wanted cake.
 
The recipe I used was from good ol' Betty Crocker, and it turned out to be super simple as well as tasty.  I peeked at another recipe book of mine before hand, but it was a little to fancy and ambitious for what I was feeling at the moment, having ginger (which I didn't have), and an orange flavored cream cheese frosting.
 
In case you're feeling slightly ambitious (but not too much so), here's the recipe:
 
Carrot Cake
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour (if using self rising, omit baking soda & salt)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups shredded carrots (5 medium, or a zillion baby ones in my case)
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (I used pecans)
handful of raisins (not in the recipe, but I wanted them)
 
1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease bottom and sides of one 13 x 9 inch pan, or 2 8-inch or 9-inch round pans with shortening; lightly flour.
2.  In large bowl, beat sugar, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed about 30 seconds or until blended.  Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla and salt; beat on low speed 1 minute.  Stir in carrots and nuts.  Pour into pan(s).
3.  Bake 13 x 9 pan 40-45 minutes, round pans 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool rectangle pan on wire rack.  Cool rounds 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack.  Cool completely, about 1 hour.
4.  Frost 13 x 9-inch cake or fill and frost round layers with cream cheese frosting.  Store covered in refrigerator.
 
 
Cream cheese frosting
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 to 3 teaspoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
 
1.  In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
2.  Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, on low speed until smooth and spreadable.  Frosts 13 x 9-in cake generously, or fills and frosts an 8 or 9-inch two-layer cake.
 

Yum.  What have you been baking lately?
Happy weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, yum, yum!! I'm not much of a baker but I would love to try this!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!