June 14, 2013

food & beer friday~ cucumber hibiscus ale

 
I'm so pleased that I randomly picked up a mixed party pack of Magic Hat beer at the grocery store the other night.  I was just looking for something to have with dinner, and it was between the beer, or some liquor to make amaretto sours...sounded good at the moment, although I rarely drink hard stuff.
 
It was exciting seeing this Cucumber Hibiscus Ale amongst the other bottles, and I knew this was the first I wanted to try.  (Kristin, probably not as good as your hibiscus ale, but maybe you could get your hands on this one??)  Guys, it is so good!  It's not like any beer I've ever had...it's really hard to describe.  Mike thinks it tastes like potpourri, but I don't think so...drinking potpourri doesn't sound pleasant, haha!  I can see where he comes from, but potpourri in my mind smells like cinnamon and Christmas, and this has none of that.  It does kind of remind me of cucumber melon lotion from Bath & Body Works...that doesn't make it sound better I'm sure, but trust me it's delicious!  Pretty sweet, but not overpowering, with no real hop flavor.
 
 
Our house has accidentally acquired quite a few carrots (ehem, me forgetting we already had some, and buying more...a few weeks in a row), so I made a carrot cake to use some up yesterday.  These two things paired together were soo good!  This was dinner while sitting outside with Mike and our dog, haha!
 
 
details:
Brewery~ Magic Hat in South Burlington, VT // ABV~ 4.2% // hops~ Appolo & Zeus // malts~ pale, wheat, and caramel
 
This is a seasonal beer, available April-July, so you better pick some up quickly if you want to try it!
 
 
What's Kristin featuring this week?  Click here to find out!
Grab our button and link up below with your own food and/ or beer post throughout the weekend!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, I don't drink beer, but that cake sure makes my heart go pitter patter! I haven't had carrot cake in ages...nomz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, it's delicious! I shared the recipe today if you'd like to give it a go. ;)

      Delete
  2. That sounds very interesting! I would love to give it a try. And the label is super cute too (which always makes beer taste better, right?)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo! You've got me REALLY intrigued. This would have definitely been a surprise in a mix-pack. I'm not a big fan of Magic Hat, but I'm interested! Oh and the only thing I could think about is how much I wish I lived close to you! Carrot cake and beer?! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!