April 17, 2013

let's eat~ homemade peanut butter

 
Peanut butter. 
 
Its existence has never been unknown to me.  Up until now, I've always bought my peanut butter at the store without giving it much thought at all.  Sure, I've played with the idea of making my own, but was never too serious about it.
 
I like to purchase organic peanut butter from our local big-box chain grocery store, but when they were out this past week, I really didn't like my alternative options.  Why does peanut butter have to contain so many other ingredients?  Soooo, I bought a bag of roasted/salted peanuts from our health food store.
 
 
Peanut butter's sooo easy to make.  I didn't really know exactly what it entailed other than grinding up peanuts, but I figured it wasn't too much more than that.  After a few pinterest searches, I decided to do just that; throw the peanuts in my food processor and go to town.  Several minutes later it was looking way too thick, so I consulted my recipe book Make the Bread, Buy the Butter.  The book said to add two tablespoons of oil to the mix (preferably peanut oil, which I didn't have, and substituted with canola oil), which helped a ton!  You're then supposed to refrigerate it, which will help thicken it up a bit if it's gotten too runny from the oil.
 
 
I immediately divulged in a snack of an apple dipped in the freshly made peanut butter, which was soo yummy!  I thought I might need to add sugar to it to give it a more "store-bought" flavor, but it's really good as is.
 

Have you made your own peanut butter, or any other nut-butter?

*heads up!  What to Wear while exercising is tomorrow if you'd like to link up!  Link will be on Gypsy in Jasper's blog tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. That looks good, Sarah! How did the cost of the peanuts compare to the cost of buying p.b.? Do you have to refrigerate it? Looks like I'm going to have to make some! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, I think the bag of peanuts cost me about $5.30ish...and it made those 2 small jars of pbutter. The pbutter I usually buy is about $3.69? ...so I think it's worth it. I guess it all depends on what you usually buy, and what type/where you get your peanuts from.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, I'm craving peanut butter right now so badly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I might try my hand at almond butter (more nutrients that peanuts) since I love it. I've started doing homemade mayo & salsa, so why not a nut butter?! So easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm, that'd be good! That's cool you make your own mayo & salsa! I love making my own stuff; I figure someone has to make the stuff at the store that I buy, so why can't I make it?

      Delete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!