April 29, 2013

let's eat (er...drink)~ matcha green tea smoothie


So I receive a subscription to Vegetarian Times magazine via my wonderful mother, and it's so fun looking through the latest edition for new things to try.  I've never heard of match green tea before reading about it a little in the mag, but there was a recipe for some slushies made with it that sounded delightful, so I set out to find some of the green powder.

Some things that I learned about matcha green tea:
  • Matcha is made from the entire gyokuro tea leaf; it's plucked, steamed, dried, and ground into a fine powder,
  • It contains up to 137 times more antioxidant powers than other green teas,
  • It has more caffeine than other green teas, but won't give you the coffee jitters- "the amino acid L-theanine found in matcha promotes a feeling of relaxed alertness."
  • You can use it hot or cold.
The recipe for this slushy can be found here on Vegetarian Times' website.  They're really simple to make, and only contain three ingredients (four, if you count the water to brew the tea...).  I think it came out pretty tasty!  I mean, it tastes like tea, with just a smidge of sweetness to it, but they were yummy!  I still have enough green tea ice cubes left to make a few more, so I'll probably be enjoying those throughout the week.

A note on the portions size recommended...I made it as directed the first time, but it only filled about half a glass.  Also it was really thick, and I couldn't drink it out of a straw because it wasn't runny enough (you know how when you suck all the moisture out of a smoothie & you're left with just ice, and you have to move your straw all around just to get one sip?  yeah, like that.).  The next time I made a double portion and added more almond milk to make it straw worthy, and it was perfect until the last inch, but I call that good.  Perhaps I'm a little too accustomed to American portions sizes and should be happy with the little guy, but I was using this as my meal, haha!

Let me know if you try these, they're so yummy and good for you!  Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely want to try this! I am always looking for new smoothie recipes!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!