April 12, 2013

food & beer friday~ Norther Hawk Owl Amber Ale

 
 
It's Food & Beer Friday once again!  I was so excited about this beer, because well, it's so darn cute.  I mean, look at that little owl with his helmet and goggles!  ...I want him!!  When I had this beer it was much warmer than it is now, and Mike and I grilled a pizza and ate outside!  The weather's a bit too wet and chilly for that now, but I'm hoping soon I'll be able to shed a few layers.
 
 
 
Northern Hawk Owl Amber Ale is made by Right Brain Brewery, which is in Traverse City Michigan.  Mike and I went to this brewery about three years ago on an anniversary trip, and I vaguely remember having a pumpkin beer, while Mike says he had a barley-wine.  It was a cool place, but a little odd because it shares a wall with a hair salon, which you can see into while you're sitting there drinking your brew.
 
Anyway, onto this beer.  I really wanted to like it...but it's wasn't my thing.  The flavors going on here were deep caramel notes, with no hops whatsoever.  It wasn't bad, but not good either.  Honestly I haven't had an amber ale in quite some time.  I used to like them a lot, but I guess I've lost my taste for them (okay, I probably can't speak for them all...I just really love my hops).  I contemplated not reviewing this beer since I wasn't a fan, but I might as well share the good with the bad, huh?  On a better note, the pizza was great! :)
 
The ABV of this guy is 5.8%.
 
 

(Mike's flavor takings= toffee, well balanced, limited hop flavor, resony finish.  Gotta get his opinion too. ;)

Make sure you swing by Skinny Jeans & a Chai Latte to see what she'll be reviewing this week!  We'd love to have you link up with your own beer, just click below and add the button on your blog!

(p.s.~ sorry my photos were a little wonky earlier; I think they should be good now!)

 

6 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm sad it wasn't very tasty because the bottle is too darn cute! I'm with you though, if I can't taste the hops, it's probably not the beer for me! I love that you guys are doing a food and beer Friday - I will try to remember to link up next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! That'd be awesome to have you!!

      Delete
  2. I like a hoppy beer too, but I may have to try this anyway since the label is so awesome :) I love grilling pizza- so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a chance; it's really not bad, just not my fav.

      Delete
  3. I love that you reviewed it even though you didn't love it. I always figure what I may not like, others might? Plus the label IS awesome! How great that you and Mike visit breweries on your anniversary trips? Haha...that's about all we do on most of our trips ;) That pizza is seriously making me curse Whole 30 right now too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much all we like to do on our trips together as well, haha! It's just so fun!

      Delete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!