March 18, 2013

a reason to celebrate

 
For Christmas I bought Mike a Belgian beer he wanted off of his wishlist.  The beer is called Westvleteran 12, and it's the #1 rated beer in the world.  He's been saving it ever since for some sort of special occasion, because it's not just a beer that you'd crack open on any ol' night.  It's probably a beer that he'll only have once in his life, so saving for the right moment was imperative.
 
 
That moment came last night, folks!  That's right, Mike is starting a brand new job today (he's there now!).  It's kind of a dream-come-true, and I'm so happy/nervous for him!  I can't wait to hear how his first day goes!
 
I had to document the entire thing; the before, opening of the bottle, tasting, and reaction.  I think it's odd this beer doesn't have a label!  Kind of disappointing, but cool nonetheless, and will forever stay in Mike's special beer bottle collection.
 




He liked it, haha!

I had him tell me what his taste buds were feeling, and this is what he said about it:
"more roasted than expected...raisin/plum...spicey hopiness...finishes [with] dark roast malts...weeee bit of alcohol."  I had two sips, and I really can't say that it's my favorite beer or "the best in the world," but it wasn't too bad.  I'm really not a fan of tons of carbonation/ foaminess, and this one had quite a bit.
 
Here's the description that the Belgian Shop gave it:

"This beer is one the hardest genuine Trappist beers to find!
Pours a cloudy reddish brown with a thick biege head. Aroma is a bit sweet with fruit and caramel. Really nice full and chewy mouthfeel. Raisins, brown sugar, dark fruits, alcohol, and caramel are right upfront. Nice lingering aftertaste. There's a lot to sink your teeth into, so to speak. A really complex beer that wants you to ask for more."
 
Pretty similar to Mike's, I'd say!  Click here to find one for yourself!
 
success!
Good luck at your new job, Mike!  I love you!

10 comments:

  1. I am so happy for Mike! I hope his first day went well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! From the sounds of it it did! He gets some pretty stellar perks that come with the job as well; a free beer every work day, a free six pack a week, and $2 beers at the pub! whaaa?!?? :)

      Delete
  2. Aww. This is a cute post. What a neat gift and a nice moment to celebrate. What's his new job?

    Huge congrats to him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, thanks! He's working for our favorite local brewery in the packaging plant. He's uber into beer (homebrewing, drinking, haha) and went to school and got a certificate of some sort for brewing. Sooo, yah, it's great for him.

      Delete
  3. Yah! A blogger talking about beer. I just stumbled across your blog.

    Congrats on his new job! That's always exciting news. I wish him luck on his new job!

    I look forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thanks so much for stopping by! Glad you like it. :) my hubby and I definitely have a love for beer, so I'm sure you'll see more of that on here.

      Delete
  4. LOVE THIS! We just opened (two weekends ago) a Westvleteran to celebrate the impending announcement of D's new job title. So funny! Perfect celebration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! haha, that's awesome! Congrats to him on his new position as well! How'd you like it??

      Delete
  5. How awesome. We once had a promotion here in a supermarketchain for westvleteren beer and there were huuuuge lines in the morning haha. We can sort of easily get it but outside of that promotion it's a long drive. There's only a certain amount produced each month, so weird. Glad he liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow that's crazy; I'm glad it was pretty easy to order online! It took a while, but that was to be expected; it came right before Christmas, so it was perfect!

      Delete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!