February 13, 2013

keeping bees

A month or so ago while sorting through our mail, Mike and I noticed an upcoming event at our local library that looked interesting.  It was a talk, or speech if you will, about keeping bees.  We immediately decided to go, so I made sure to take the appropriate time off of work.
 
We had gone to a talk last year about backyard chickens, and it was really inspiring and informative.  We'd like to try our hand at it for sure, just not sure when; this year, or maybe next.
 

When Mike saw a picture of the man who would be giving the talk, he mentioned that he kind of looks like a friend of ours who has a lot of brothers, and he has the same last name.  A few texts to my little brother revealed that yup, he was in fact the brother of our friend, aaand he used to be roommates and close friends with my second cousin.  Hahah, just some fun facts, not really relevant to the topic, but whatever.  It gave us something to talk to him about afterwards besides bees.

We really enjoyed the talk, and are considering keeping bees at some point.  It definitely takes a lot of work and dedication, and I want to make sure we're well informed and prepared before we jump into it.  I think I'm meant to live on a farm, but it's nice that we can actually have bees and chickens where we currently live!  Any volunteers to babysit our bees, chickens, dog and three cats when we decide to take vacations?! haha!

How about you guys, have you ever considered keeping bees (or chickens)?  Or what other sort of hobbies do you have?  Have a great hump day!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome, Sarah! I don't know if you knew this or not, but my stepdad, Mike, keeps bees. As in, there is a beehive in the back yard of my mom's house, which I'm pretty sure he built. Granted, his most recent swarm died, but he told me he is planning on getting some more bees after they move. Anyway, if you are ever looking for tips on how to build a beehive or what is required for beekeeping, I'm sure he'd be happy to share. =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! Mike did tell me that he'd had some in the past. We'd definitely want to talk to him and get some advice, thanks! Where are they moving to?

      Delete
    2. They're moving to Jamestown. They have the land, but they still have to build the house, but I think they're hoping to be moved by next fall ... or winter ... or something. Haha

      Delete
  2. I can't see myself ever keeping bees, but we have chickens! They're actually pretty low maintenance, and when we travel we just get someone to stop in once or twice (in a week) when they check on the cats. They just check the food and get the eggs. They eggs are awesome, and it's been really fun watching them "grow up." I'm afraid of the commitment with bees!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!