November 05, 2012

let's eat~ caramel corn

The first time I made this popcorn was about a month ago when Mike and I took our mini vaca to Detroit to see Regina Spektor.  I thought it'd be a nice snack on the road and our hotel room, which it proved to be.  It was gone far too quickly though, and I found myself craving more.
 
 
I whipped up another batch a few days ago, and somehow we still have some left!  Glad I was able to snag a few photos before it got annihilated.  It's a really easy recipe, and it's tastes so good!  I was surprised when I took my fist bite, amazed that I made actual caramel corn!  I made the popcorn using this method I blogged about, then followed the recipe from Make the Bread Buy the Butter.  This is a really cool recipe book mixed with stories from a lady who goes a year making everything from scratch, and then tells you if it's worth it to make or buy it hassle-wise, and money-wise.
 
 
 
 
Caramel Corn
2 1/2 quarts popcorn, freshly popped
2 cups skinned, salted, roasted peanuts (I skipped these)
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup dark corn syrup (I used light, because that's what I had and it worked fine)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
 
1.  Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
2.  In a wide pan with high sides, such as a turkey roaster, combine the popcorn and half the peanuts.
3.  In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, butter, and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Continue to boil for 5 minutes.  No need to stir.  Remove from the heat and mix in the vanilla and baking soda.
4.  While the glaze is still very hot, pour most of it over the popcorn and peanuts, tossing with a buttered spoon until well combined.  Add the rest of the peanuts, then the rest of the sauce, and toss.
5.  Put the roasting pan in the oven and bake for 1 hour.  Cool.  Break apart any big clumps.  Store at room temperature in a tin or large resealable plastic bag.
 

I found that when you take it out of the oven, some of the caramel that had stared to harden when pouring over the popcorn is really running once again.  I spread my popcorn out on some parchment paper on the counter to cool it quickly, and was able to scoop up that runny caramel off the bottom of the pan, and drizzle it over the popcorn.  It dries very quickly, so work fast!  and enjoy. :)

What's everyone doing on this beautiful Monday?  I'm going to work here in a bit, after I finish my coffee and make myself presentable.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah!
    I'm enjoying some Pumpkin Spice coffee from the Kalamazoo Coffee Co. simply because you mentioned it in your blog! :) It's yummy!

    I used to make caramel corn in the microwave oven in a paper bag, but now that bags are made from recycled paper, there are probably metal shavings, etc. in the bags! Not cool for eating or microwaving! I'll have to whip some of yours up...your photos are inspiring! I spy runts in the background...oh yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. enjoy your coffee! I'm honored; I think I need to get paid now for advertising. :) and yup, you definitely saw runts! no kids came to our door, so I have lots of candy to eat. shucks.

      Delete
  2. I guess I can reply right on your blog. I just got back from a mile run. I am going to try to run through the winter which I have never done before. Then I have glad and canna bulbs to dig up and store for the winter. I hope to have some time for working on a quilt I am making and I am watching my grandson, Alex most of the day. I am going to see about that book you mentioned. I think it sounds super interesting. I love saving money and I love doing everything myself! Hope you have a great Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like a good day! running's rough in the winter; it hurts my lungs and gives me a cough. I really need to start running again though! I have bulbs to plant soon, I never thought about bringing them in for the winter...except those ones that get really tall with the huge flower, I remember seeing those inside; is that what you have? You should definitely get that cookbook! it's really cool, even just to read. There's a cool website called Better World Books in case you need somewhere to buy it from...it's a neat organization that donates books to people when you buy books, and you can get them new or used.

      Delete
  3. I think technically the flower"bulbs" that need to come in are not really bulbs. Real bulbs like tulips and daffidils need to be outside in the cold. I will check out that website for the book in a couple weeks. I am trying a do not buy anything for myself for a month kind of thing-sort of like a fast from shopping for stuff so I will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!