November 13, 2012

diy~ vanilla extract

Guys, Mike and I made our own homemade vanilla extract!  Granted, it was a few months ago, aaand it takes a few months to make, but we still have plenty left.  We got directions for this out of the recipe book I told you about, Make the Bread, Buy the Butter by Jennifer Reese.  It's super simple; the hardest part is just waiting.
 
 
I can't say it was worth it for us money-wise~ she says that it is compared to buying pure vanilla, but she must've gotten a super deal on vanilla beans...be sure to check around on prices before you buy them!  Either way, it was cool to do, and I like having the real deal around for baking.
 
 
 
 
 

You will need:

9 plump vanilla beans
1 1/2 cups vodka (cheap is fine) or rum, dark or light (I think we used cheap light rum...)

Slit the vanilla beans lengthwise and scrape out eh seeds.  Put the seeds and the pods in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.  Pour the alcohol over the beans.  Cover and shake.  Put the jar in a cupboard and let macerate for 3 months, agitating the jar occasionally.

Makes 1 1/2 cups

If you try this out, let me know!  It was kind of fun shaking the daylights out of the jar every time I got into my spice cabinet.

Have a good toosdee!  You know what that means, right? (no?  ugh, new girl tonight! :).) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!