October 15, 2012

let's eat~ vegan sloppy joes

 
Are you a vegan or vegetarian who'd still like to enjoy a sloppy joe once in a while?  I've got a recipe for you, then!  Even if you're not, you'd probably still like these; my carnivore husband does!  The "meat" is made from crumbled up and browned tofu....I know, I know, that probably made you stop right there and say you won't like it.  Tofu's not good, people; I don't like it.  It's a spongy, flavorless filler that I'd rather just not have in my food than have it act as a replacement.  BUT, this is actually really good!  I think it's because you brown it, and then it soaks up so much of the ketchup and tomato paste, spices and all of the other flavors that it's not that weird consistency you usually expect from tofu.
 
 
With that said... :)  Here's the recipe, and I hope you give it a shot!
(ah, I don't remember where the recipe came from, naughty me!  somewhere on the internet... :/)
 
Vegan Sloppy Joes
 
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 lb. tofu, crumbled
1- 6 oz. can tomato paste
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 small onion, chopped
oregano, to taste
chili pepper, to taste
1 small jar of mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar (I think we use white wine vinegar, since that's what we have...p.s.~ Mike made these!)
salt and pepper to taste
sandwich buns
 
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and the molasses.  Add the crumbled tofu and let brown, stirring to prevent burning.  Add the tomato paste and mix well, adding water to bring to the desired consistency.  Stir in the mustard and onion, then add the oregano and chili powder and continue mixing.  Stir in the mushrooms, ketchup, and vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
 

We enjoyed this dinner with our favorite port wine from Warner Vineyards, a local winery.  After dinner, we painted our bedroom together!  I'll share some photos of that later on; we're slowly doing things around the house to make it our own, and I'm loving it!  It's feels more and more like home all the time. 

Yesterday afternoon Mike and I came home from a mini weekend-getaway which was a lovely, fun time, mixed with a tragic event... I'll also share with you about this soon (maybe not the tragic part, who needs/ wants to hear that?  Just know we're okay.).

It looks like a sleepy, wet and gray day; perfect for going back to work.  What does Monday have in store for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!