October 23, 2012

let's eat~ microwave popcorn

This may seem like a silly post; microwave popcorn, bah!  ....buuuut, please give me the pleasure of letting you in on a little secret.  At least it was a secret to me until not too long ago, but thanks to my Mother and Pinterest, I am now informed of this tiny little miracle.  You'll think to yourself, "duh!" when you hear this, "why didn't I think of that!"  ...did you know you can make this:
 

 
...from this (okay, ya caught me, minus the wine! ;) in the microwave?  Yeah, I've made popcorn on the stove, but guys, this is so much faster and easier than heating up that oil in a big pot!  This is also SO MUCH cheaper than buying microwave popcorn....you can buy a bag of kernels for about $2 which makes a zillion batches, or a box for $4 that makes four batches...yeah.
 
 
 
Simply pour some popcorn kernels into a brown paper bag, fold the edges over (don't staple it; metal and microwaves hate each other).  Pop it in the microwave (no oil!) for a few minutes, and listen!  When they're just about done popping, pull it out, and viola!  POPCORN!!!
 
 
Now, this is a terrible example, and I swear this has never happened to me before, but my bag burst open while popping...apparently I filled it too full... whoops!  I would recommend using a bag slightly bigger than a wine bag like I did; a lunch sack would be perfect.  As for how many kernels to use, it's a little hard to say, but I like using around 1/4 cup, maybe a little less for just myself.  You may need to pop a few batches until you get the amount you want and depending how many people are going to partake in this popcorn bowl.
 

For toppings, you can either eat it plain (eck) or melt some butter and pour over top, add a little salt or whatever fancies your pants!  This particular time I used some spray butter that I have in my fridge which works great and topped it with some seasoned salt.  You can even save your paper bag and use it a few times before it's too worn out, just throw it back in your pantry with the kernels and you're ready for next time!

Happy Tuesday!  Who's ready for New Girl for real this week?! :)

2 comments:

  1. I would love to try this, but I don't have a microwave. I miss popcorn dearly too! Do you have a great stove top recipe as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, not a recipe per-say, but it's super easy! you just need to get a large pot (or a small one with not too many kernels!), and coat the bottom with a thin layer of oil. Place one kernel in the center of the oil, and heat it up really hot (with the lid on!). When that one kernel pops, add however many kernels you want and put the lid back on... put some oven mitts on and shake, shake, shake it as it pops placing it back on the burner here and there. You don't want to just let it sit there because they might burn. Stop when they stop popping or a little before. :)

      Delete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!