October 11, 2012

let's eat~ bulgur chili

Oh hey guys!  I'm back!  I unintentionally took two days off; but I've certainly been thinkin' of ya.  Life gets too fricken' busy with work and all sometimes, but today Mike and I have the day off together, and it's turning out to be an amazing one so far!  What have you been up to?
 
I'm here today to share a vegetarian chili recipe with you.  We've been using this recipe for a few years now, and it's a keeper!  I can't handle super spicy things, but this one has a good amount of kick to it; enough, but not so much where my face is burning off.  Of course I didn't follow the recipe to the T, give or take what I had, but that's the great thing about chili; you can edit it to your liking without it messing up the final product.
 
 
Here's the original recipe, taken from Taste of Home:
 
3/4 cup bulgur
2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups finely chopped green peppers (I forgot these!)
1 large onion, chopped
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz.) ranch-style beans, undrained (I've never been able to find these, so I just get another type of bean that sounds good.)
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained (mine had little chilies in it, adds to the kick)
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 cup water
2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (optional; for topping)
 
Place bulgar in a large bowl; stir in boiling water.  Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.  Drain and squeeze dry.  In a large saucepan, saute green peppers and onion in oil until tender.  Stir in the bulgur, tomato juice, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, chili powder, garlic, cumin and cayenne.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.  Sprinkle with cheese.
 
Yield: 9 servings
 
 
And there ya have it!  It's definitely chili season, and we'll probably be making this again soon.  When I first made this I had no idea what bulgur was.  In case you're wondering, it's a wheat similar to rice.  It sort of looks like tiny shards of dry pasta, and it puffs up when you cook it.  In this recipe, it's the substitute for meat.  I find it in the ethnic food/ pasta aisle at my grocery store.
 

Has anyone else made chili yet this year?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah!
    Just made a crock-pot full of chicken chili...so easy to throw together & forget it until time to eat! I think I've made the bulgar chili one time, and didn't even miss the meat!

    Enjoy your day together! Cool date today, 10-11-12! :D Love ya,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yum! crock pots are awesome. :) was it that taco chicken chili? I remember making that back when I ate meat, it was good! miss ya mom!

      Delete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!