September 18, 2012

let's eat~ chex mix

 
Since I've been packing my work lunch more lately, I've been trying to come up with some nice and easy snackish things to make so I don't buy junk mid-week.  Both sides of my family always makes a huge batch of chex mix for Christmas every year, and it's amazing.  It's so good, it's hard to stop eating really.  Then I thought, why don't I make this more often?  Why only Christmas-time?  So, I made some.
 
Did you know that worcestershire sauce has anchovies in it?  I didn't until a few years ago when I became a vegetarian and stared reading labels on things looking for animal products.  I was so bummed to think I couldn't have chex mix anymore!  Thankfully, someone (not sure who, I think my parents) found this vegetarian version that's just as good, without the little fishes in it! :)
 
 
I would like to say that this pan lasted me a week or two, but really it was gone within a few days.  I just can't control myself!  Okay, I did give a zip-lock bag of it to a friend, so there's a small excuse for it's disappearance.
 

Here's the recipe, in case you'd like to devour some yourself!  Feel free to mix and match ingredients, add some, take some away....it's super versatile!  I always put pretzels in, but didn't this time, since I'm always sort of dodging them anyway...why put them in?  I forgot that I like Cheerios's in it, so those didn't get thrown in this time. 

6 Tbsp. margarine (do not use spread)
2 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. onion salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
3 cups corn chex cereal
3 cups wheat chex cereal
3 cups rice chex cereal
1 cup mixed nuts
1 cup pretzels
1 cup garlic flavor bite size bagel chips
1 bag of goldfish crackers (I used an off brand, b/c it was cheaper)

Heat oven to 250 degrees F.  Melt margarine in large roat pan in oven (I don't get the point of this, and always melt it in the microwave, then pour it in the pan...much quicker).  Stir in seasonings.  Gradually stir in remaining ingredients until evenly coated.  Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Spread on paper towels to cool (I don't do this either!).  Store in an airtight container.

What type of things do you put in your favorite chex mix?

4 comments:

  1. Why DO we put pretzels in it?!! I "dodge" them too! Your Great-Grandma (Esther) called this mix "Nuts & Bolts", the cheerios being the nuts, the pretzels being the bolts! THAT'S where the pretzels came in I think!

    I like to throw a can of just cashews in, too! Yummy! And I like the whole grain fishy crackers...makes it seem more healthy! lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nuts and bolts. :) hehe! I think I'll keep skipping the pretzels though, I kind of liked it that way.

      Delete
  2. We use soy sauce instead of worchestershire for a different flavor...not sure if it has anchovies in it though.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!