September 24, 2012

house-ventures~ painted fridge

Shortly after we moved into our house, the idea came upon me to paint my fridge.  I'd never heard of anyone doing it, so didn't know if it was possible (or a good idea I guess).  It seems like if it was, there would be a lot more colorful refrigerators out there.  Well, my friend Hannah found a pin on Pinterest with directions on how to do just so, and pinned it for me!  I was so excited!  I really wanted an orange fridge... :)  I followed these directions (not to the t...I'm kind of bad at that), and went to town.
 
I'm not going to go crazy into detail about how to do this, so make sure you click on the link if you want to give this a go.
 
 
if you'd like a pattern, sketch one out on contact paper, and carefully cut it out.
 
 
Make sure you get a primer that adheres to metal!
 
 
taping takes SO LONG!
It seriously took me about a week to tape the whole fridge off, because it's so, so tedious, I could not make myself sit down and do it all at once.  very frusterating.
hours of taping = a drag; make sure you have a glass of wine or two handy...
 
 
I really wanted to apply two coats of the second color, but you pretty much have to peel the tape off right away before it dries, so you're not peeling paint off with it later.  Sooo, I just kind of slathered it on thick/ went back over it later with a little sponge brush in certain areas later.
 
 
 Unlike what they did in the tutorial, I did not paint my fridge with chalkboard paint. I thought it would be cool, but it only comes in black, and I didn't feel like making my own.   I really don't need to be able to write on my fridge though, so I'm ok with it.
 

After much, much work, it finally paid off and I have my awesome orange creamsicle fridge!  I still haven't had the heart to put all the magnets back on, and really I don't know if I will.  I like how it looks just plain without all the crap stuck to it, so it looks like I'll have to find another spot for all my coupons/ randomness.  Oh, also...haven't done it yet, but I want to find some sort of a clear finish coat I can slap on it to protect it more, and make it easy to clean when (heaven forbid!) I spill things on it.

Hope everyone has a good Monday! :/ 

10 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Great job! I used to have a yellow fridge. I'm pretty sure it was from 1970. It was a stinkin' ugly color, but I loved the handle, because it was curved and looked like it was from the '60s. If I had thought of painting the fridge, maybe I would have kept it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) yellow might be cool, but yeah, if it was old and dingy, might have needed some love.

      Delete
  2. This is the most amazing project I have ever seen. If I owned my place, I'd be all over this!! So cool. I'm going to tweet about it and everything. Everyone needs to see this fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! you're awesome! Thanks though, I'm pretty stoked about it. :) someday! you will have a fridge of your own to paint. :)

      Delete
  3. YES!!! I love it! It really does look amazing. I am jealous.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Hannah for the tips!!! <3 you

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, this is so cool!!! I never though of painting my fridge before, but this is fantastic! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! and you're welcome. :) thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. It seems to me on one of those lame 90s DIY tv shows, somebody painted a fridge. I always wanted to paint my fridge, but we just got a new one, so maybe not the best idea!

    Yours looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) yes, I'm lucky (?) I have an old fridge. I'm just hoping it doesn't keel over on me now that it looks all spiffy.

      Delete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!