September 10, 2012

grandma cookies

For as long as I can remember, these cookies have simply been known as "Grandma cookies."  My Grandma was an amazing baker, and it seems she always had something in the oven; lemon meringue or some other flavor of pie, cookies, coffee cake (okay, that one wasn't homemade, but whatever).
 
She was famous (to us, and all her grandchildren) for these cookies.  She had two kinds, actually, that she would make up ahead of time, roll the dough into balls, and freeze them in a giant zip-lock bag.  After grabbing hot 'n' now hamburgers post church on Sundays, we'd swing by for a visit and she would pull these out of the freezer and bake a few trays.  Viola!  Fresh cookies!  Such a good idea!  Pair that with a juice box, and it's the perfect Sunday afternoon snack.  (I'd probably prefer coffee now, but oh how I loved those juice boxes back then!)  How nice to be able to whip up a snack for a guest passing through without much time or mess?  Smart lady.
 

Ah, you're probably wondering what type of cookie, exactly, is a Grandma cookie.  It's a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie.  She also made some wonderful raisin molasses cookies, which I wasn't as fond of as a child, but love them now.  They're super moist and delicious!  Today I'm only sharing one of the recipes with you, but maybe someday I'll lavish you with the other. :)  (I really hope I'm not breaking some family secret by sharing this with you!  It's not a secret as far as I know, but eep!  I hope not!  Make sure you make these and tell me how wonderful they are so I don't get into trouble!)

Grandma Cookies

1 1/2 cups flour
2 cups quick oats
1 tsp. baking powder (the original says soda, but for some strange reason, powder works best for me...)
1 tsp. salt
1 cup soft butter or shortening
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. water
2 eggs
1 cup chocolate chips

Sift together flour, oats, baking powder, and salt; set aside.  Blend shortening, sugars, vanilla, and water.  Beat in eggs.  Add flour mixture and mix in chocolate chips.  Roll into balls and bake at 375 F for 10-12 minutes.

Only once did I try making the dough balls and freezing them like my Grandma.  It worked well for a bit, but then Mike and I just ended up eating the frozen cookie dough, which was amazing as well! :)

The reason I tried using baking powder instead of soda once, was because I was out of soda, so I just took a shot and used powder.  Before then, my cookies always turned out flat, and I couldn't figure out why....my Grandma's always stayed so nice and plump, I wanted mine to do the same!  Well, when I used the powder, they did!  I know there's a science to baking, and I'm probably doing something wrong, but I keep on doing it, and like it better this way.

Let me know if you try these out, and how you like them!  Have a lovely day peeps! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!