August 23, 2012

homemade wheat thins

Who doesn't love a good box of wheat thins?  Well, maybe you don't, but I like 'em.  I found a recipe online a long time ago (I no longer remember where!) that I've made half a dozen times or so.  They're really good, so I thought I'd share the recipe with you today!  It's so much more fun to make something yourself sometimes than buy it, and it can save you $$. :)
 
 
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. butter (room temp.)
2/3 cup milk
salt (or other dried herbs & seasonings) for sprinkling
 
In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, and salt.  Cut in the butter and mix until you have a course meal.  Slowly blend in the milk just until you have a dough that will hold together.  Divide the dough into two pieces for rolling.  Roll out the dough onto a floured surface to about 1/8 in. thickness.  Sprinkle with salt and roll lightly with the rolling pin again.  Poke the dough generously with a fork, and cut the dough into 2x2 squares.  Transfer squares to an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes, or until crackers are golden brown.

 

What I've found from making these crackers, is that thinner is better.  Roll them out really really thin (well, not too thin...I never measure mine, but I get them pretty skinny) because if you don't, they end up very tough to eat.  These harden right up after cooling, and are nice and crisp, but that combined with thick equals a tired jaw.

I'm pretty bad with reading directions while baking or cooking.  I tend to read as I go, which can (and has) end up bad sometimes.  Just now as I was typing out the recipe, I read the part about putting herbs and spices on instead of salt, and that sounds amazing!  Of course, I didn't read that part and just salted like usual, but next time I think I'll try making a flavor with some herbs and maybe garlic!  mmmm...

I thought for a minute I forgot to take a photo of the finished product, and was going to be really bummed, because I just finished up the rest of the crackers while working on this post!  gah!  Thank goodness I found one... :)  ha.

We're having quite the lovely day here, and I'm enjoying soaking in some fresh air and sun rays at our picnic table,  while hacking away at some computer chores (plus fun stuff ;) ).

have a wonderful rest of you day!

2 comments:

  1. We made homemade crackers once, as well. They were rosemary and cracked pepper crackers. We really enjoyed the flavour, although we didn't roll them out quite thin enough. You may have just inspired me to give it a second shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds great! I'm going to have to make these again soon and experiment with flavors!

      Delete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!