August 18, 2012

what I've been reading

I'm not a huge reader.  At all.  Lately though I've been trying to push myself to read more.  I feel like somehow it'll make me smarter or something, which maybe it will a little, if not just keeping my brain busy.  So far, I've read two books in a few months!  (I didn't keep track of when I started, but it hasn't been long.)

The first book I read, I had actually read before, but it'd been a long time ago.  I knew I liked it, but didn't quite remember the story, so thought I'd give it another go.  I still like it!  Now, I don't want to tell you much about either of these book, so I don't spoil them for you in case you decide you need a read as well.  I'll just give you a snippet of each.

If I stay, by Gayle Forman is about a high school student, who gets in a crash and is in the hospital.  She has to decide whether or not she's going to live, or give up the race for life.  It's an out of body experience for her, and a cool perspective.


If I Stay
image source
The reason I chose to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky is that I saw a preview for an upcoming movie about this book.  It looked like something I'd like to see, but I'd rather read the book before seeing the movie (as I'm sure most of us would), so I quickly ordered it online.

It's basically the story of (another) high school student, who obviously has some sort of mental sickness/ is very disturbed.  You don't know quite what's wrong with him until the end though.  He doesn't fit in very well, but he finds his small group of close friends.  Yadda, yadda yadda...It was good for the most part.  Some parts made me a bit uncomfortable, and questioning whether or not I really do want to see the movie now.  I guess it'll depend on what it's rated....I'm not big into raunchiness.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
image source
Guys, if you like buying books on the internet, and don't already know about Better World Books, you NEED TO KNOW!!!  hahah!  It's a great place to buy new and used books, and what's super cool is that whenever you buy a book, they donate a book to someone in need.  Plus, they have free shipping, which is awesome.  Click here to watch a short video to learn more about how Better World Books helps out, then go buy a book or two! :)

I love the concept this company and TOMS has, where you buy something, and they give something.  It's a win win!  Hopefully more companies jump on board; I'm so much more willing to buy from a company who gives over one who doesn't, even if it costs a little more (I mean, really, you're buying for two!).

What's next on my reading list?  I'm not quite sure....I bought The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson but I haven't gotten past the first page or two.  It just didn't pull me in right away, and I'm having a hard time sticking to it... but I think I'll give it another shot.

gotta run, there's bacon ($$) to be made.

5 comments:

  1. I'm in the middle of The Count of Monte Cristo right now, but I plan on starting on "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" as soon as I'm done! I feel ya on The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, though. I bought it in an airport like a year ago, and I just couldn't get into it. It's sitting on a shelf right now, collecting dust, with a bookmark at like chapter 3. And I AM a big reader, so don't feel bad. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel a lot better! I'm sitting here trying to read it now, and I'm getting so tired! I think I'm going to pass and find something I enjoy reading instead. :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Hey Sarah, I like keeping track of all the books I've read on "goodreads.com". I've gone back & tried to remember the hundreds of books I've ever read! (Most of them I have read aloud to your dad!) We just finished all three of Francis Chan's books, my favorite being "Crazy Love"!

    I "crazy love" you! ~mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea Mom. It's awesome that you've read so much!

      Delete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!