June 22, 2012

let's eat- homemade pizza

Last night I decided to make pizza for dinner; and since the weather's cooled down so drastically, it didn't pain me to turn the oven on too badly.

I use a pizza dough recipe that my Mom gave me a long time ago.  I've been using it ever since, and  it's great!  I've slightly reduced the original recipe since my Mom's pizza pan is pretty huge; I was always left with extra dough or a really thick pizza.

I like to add some flaxseed to my dough (which isn't in the recipe).  I bought a bag of this stuff a long time ago, and never thought I'd use it up until I started putting it in my dough; now I love it, and am almost out!


since the flaxseed is still whole, it needs to be ground before using in order to receive all of the health benefits.


Pizza Crust:

1 cup water, warmed in microwave for 45 seconds
2 tsp. yeast

After warming water, dissolve yeast in water
Add 2 Tbsp. oil

In mixing bowl, measure:
3 cups flour (my use 1 cup while wheat if desired-- I do!)
1 tsp. salt
(this is when I add my flaxseed as well, I don't measure, just throw in a small handfull)

While mixing, gradually add liquid in with dry ingredients (use dough hook attachment if available).  Mix until all flour is mixed in.  Cover dough and let it rise until double in size (I like to grease the inside of the bowl so it's easy to get out after risen).
Grease pan, sprinkle with cornmeal if desired.  Add pizza sause, cheese, and toppings.
Bake at 400 degrees F 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown (mine usually takes at least 20 minutes).




yum!  I almost forgot to take a picture of the finshed product before it was gone!  Thankfully these two  pieces remained. :)

Use whatever toppings you like; I used:
sauce
oregano
mozzarella cheese
feta cheese
and red onion


peace, and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you grind your flax seeds! That is the only way to get all the nutritional benefits from them!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comments; I love hearing from you!